Article Publication Charges
As an Open Access journal, publication in JAHA requires the payment of an Article Publication Charge, as follows:
- $1,600 for manuscripts from AHA/ASA members, either from the AHA Journals’ Referral Program or direct manuscript submissions.*
- $1,700 for AHA Journals’ Referral Program manuscripts from non–AHA/ASA members.
- $2,300 for direct manuscript submissions.
AHA/ASA Professional Members.* Here’s how to obtain the JAHA discount code.
- Step 1— Become an AHA/ASA Professional Member .
- Step 2—Access the JAHA discount code on AHA’s Professional Heart Daily site. Note: Record the discount code found in the Professional Heart Daily. You may already be registered (step 1), but must be logged in to Professional Heart Daily for the Discount Code URL to work.
- Step 3—Submit your science to JAHA. When prompted, include the JAHA discount code.
Not an AHA/ASA Professional Member? Find out more about becoming an AHA/ASA Professional Member.
Waivers. Automatic waivers will be given to corresponding authors from the JAHA Open Access Waiver Country List. Authors should submit a waiver request during the submission of their manuscript.
Taxes on publication charges. Corresponding authors residing in any of the countries of the European Union have to add Value-Added Tax (VAT; currently 20%). Institutions paying the fee on behalf of the author can, in most cases, have the VAT refunded. Or, by providing their institution’s VAT registration number, avoid paying VAT altogether.†
Payment of publication charges. When submitting a manuscript to JAHA, the submitting author must agree to pay the article publication charge minus any eligible discount (or request a waiver). After acceptance, the manuscript will enter the production cycle and the author will be asked to pay the article publication charge minus any eligible discount. When final formatting corrections are made and the author approves his/her article for publication, payment of the article publication charge must be received before the article will be published online.
Payment can be made by any of the following methods:
- Credit card payment can be made online using a secure payment form.
- Check, purchase order, or institutional invoice (payment is due within 30 days).
Prompt payment is advised, as the article will not be published until payment is received.
Currency. The article publication charge will be quoted/charged in a US Dollars, Euro, or GB Pounds rate, depending on the location of the corresponding author:
- US Dollars $: All other countries
- Euro €: Euro Zone
- GB Pounds £: United Kingdom
If the article publication charge will be paid by an institutional or other funder, the location of the institution or other funder will apply for currency quotations.
Institutional and Funder Accounts and Discounts
Authors affiliated with, or funded by, an organization that has a JAHA Open Access Account can publish research articles in JAHA without directly paying any article publication charges. The charge is paid by the institution or funder. Authors whose institutions have paid the JAHA Open Access partner fee are eligible for a discount on the article publication charge and on acceptance, a discounted fee is payable by the author. View more information for institutions and funders.
*To qualify for the AHA/ASA member discount, the corresponding author must be a member in good standing.