Unwarranted Variation in the Quality of Care for Patients With Diseases of the Thoracic Aorta
- Received November 8, 2016
- Accepted February 7, 2017
- Originally published March 14, 2017.
- Alex Bottle, MSc, PhD1,†;
- Giovanni Mariscalco, MD, PhD ()*,2,†;
- Matthew A. Shaw, MA3;
- Umberto Benedetto, MD4;
- Athanasios Saratzis, MD2;
- Silvia Mariani, MD2;
- Mohamad Bashir, MD, MRCS, PhD5;
- Paul Aylin, FFPH1;
- David Jenkins, BSc, MBBS, FRCS, MS6;
- Aung Y. Oo, FRCS7;
- Gavin J. Murphy, MD, FRCS2,
- the UK Aortic Forum‡
- 1Dr Foster Unit, Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School of Public Health, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
- 2Leicester Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit & Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Glenfield Hospital, University of Leicester, United Kingdom
- 3Information Department, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 4School of Clinical Sciences, Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- 5Department of Health Economics, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 6Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 7Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
- ↵*Correspondence to:
Giovanni Mariscalco, MD, PhD, Leicester Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit & Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Clinical Science Wing, Glenfield Hospital, University of Leicester, Groby Road, Leicester LE39QP, United Kingdom. E‐mail:
↵† Dr Bottle and Dr Mariscalco contributed equally to this work.
- © 2017 The Authors. Published on behalf of the American Heart Association, Inc., by Wiley Blackwell.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution‐NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Leicester NIHR Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Units
British Heart Foundation
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Services Research
NIHR Biomedical Research Centre